The site was originally developed in 1801 as “a haven for aged, decrepit and worn out sailors”.
At its peak, it boasted a working farm, dairy, bakery, chapel, sanatorium, hospital, music hall and cemetery before closing and becoming derelict. Thankfully, the five stately Greek Revival fronted buildings and the chapel were listed on the National Register of Historic Places and saved from demolition.
Eventually, the location became a regional arts center and in 2008, Snug Harbor Cultural Center merged with the Staten Island Botanical Gardens to create the attraction it is today.
This cultural and horticultural hub has 28 buildings and extensive gardens covering 83 acres, where New Yorkers and tourists come to recharge their batteries and be inspired by history, architecture, environmental science and the visual and performing arts.
150 West 46th Street, NY NY 10036
Copyright © NewYorkSightseeing.com 2023